I’m not a big pasta person. I went through a pasta phase in college, but that’s only because it’s so easy and inexpensive, and I was always lazy about my food. Sometimes I’d just eat Wheat Thins for dinner. Ironically, they don’t make you so thin, especially if you eat the whole box.
Anyway, I rarely get pasta cravings, which makes it really easy to stay gluten-free. I’ve found that, when I am in the mood for noodles, shirataki noodles work really well to quell the cravings. After all, pasta is just a vehicle for other food.
I got broccolini from the grocery store this weekend and perused the mighty interwebs for a recipe the other night. Conveniently enough, I also currently have a surplus of cherry tomatoes, due to a sale at Whole Foods. So I roasted some broccolini and cherry tomatoes in olive oil, garlic and red pepper, loosely based on this recipe (except it was at 450˚F for 12 minutes). And tonight, I wanted pasta, so I just used the leftovers from that and the remaining 4 ounces of Serenada chicken from Trader Joe’s. The result? Delicious.
Healthy Pesto Pasta with Chicken, Roasted Broccolini & Cherry Tomatoes
1/2 lb. broccolini
4 cherry tomatoes
1 clove garlic, sliced
pinch of crushed red pepper
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 8-ounce package shirataki noodles
4 ounces Trader Joe’s Serenada chicken, cooked and diced
1 tablespoon basil pesto
1. Preheat the oven to 450˚F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss the broccolini and cherry tomatoes in olive oil (enough to coat the veggies), garlic, red pepper, and salt and pepper. Spread mixture on the baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
2. Follow the directions to parboil or microwave the shirataki noodles. If the noodles lack preparation instructions, drain the noodles, rinse under cold water, and microwave for 1 minute. Set aside.
3. To prepare the breadcrumbs, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan. Add the panko to the olive oil and brown, stirring occasionally. Move to a small bowl and set aside.
4. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan and heat. Add the noodles, chicken, and broccolini and cherry tomatoes to the pan, stirring to combine. Saute until heated through, about 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and mix in the pesto until combined.
5. Top with breadcrumbs and serve!